Sunday 1 February 2009

The plan

Today I started by looking at my goals and what my new plan will involve. The list so far:

Goals/motivators:
(in no particular order)
  • Vanity: I'd like to fit into my jeans better and feel more toned and confident.
  • Fitness: My husband is a great cyclist. I'd like to be able to keep up.
  • Competitive streak: In 2005, I completed my first (and only) marathon in a respectable 4 hours and 20 minutes. My most recent race was a duathlon. Although it involved running up an enormous hill in gale force winds, I'm ashamed to admit that only 2 people saved me from finishing last! Okay, I'll never be an athlete, but finishing somewhere in the middle would make me very happy.
  • Health: Long and short-term. I know that exercise is the best way for me to relieve stress. As well as the immediate feel-good effect, I want to do everything I can to keep me well in the future.
The plan:
There are no rules.
  1. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
  2. Eat plenty of protein (as a vegetarian, I know this can sometimes be a challenge).
  3. Stick to wholegrains and avoid processed foods.
  4. Vary training and eating habits, so I don't get bored.
  5. Schedule exercise in my diary, most days.
  6. Do a couple of resistance-training sessions every week.
  7. Remember to stretch.
  8. Walk as much as possible.
  9. Sign up for at least 4 races this year, so I have something to work towards.
  10. Take a day off every week.
Tools:
Essential: Bike, running shoes, hand weights.
Useful: A big pile of exercise DVDs, skipping rope, indoor bike trainer (in case it's just too cold to go out), heart rate monitor, stability ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment