Tuesday 3 February 2009

Braving the weather

Yesterday got off to a good start. B was on an early shift so I got up at ten to six and braved the snow to go for a quick jog with the dog. It was only a 20 minute blast up the road and back but it certainly woke me up. Feeling virtuous, I put some porridge on and had a good stretch. I was still feeling pleased with myself when, shivering and snowman-like, I arrived at work, only to be lured by the temptation of the cafe downstairs. 20 minutes jogging doesn't quite justify a buttered fruit scone and a latte, so I resolved to continue the good work later.

In the evening, I resisted snuggling up on the sofa and instead warmed myself up with an exercise DVD. A few weeks ago, intrigued by yet another clever marketing ploy, I bought myself The Tracy Anderson Method Mat Workout, by Madonna and Gwyneth's Personal Trainer. Tracy tells me that, if I want a "teeny tiny dancer's body", I need to do her DVD at least 4 times a week and nothing else. I don't think so! I'd describe it as a bizarre mix of pilates, yoga, ballet and Madonna-style dance moves. It's hard to follow but seems to be quite good for opening up my tight shoulders and I certainly feel it working my hips. I'll stick with it once a week or so but, for me, variety is definitely key so I won't be giving up my running or anything else.

This morning, I hit the snooze button and saved the exercise for later. It's icy outside so, once my feet thaw, I'm setting up the bike trainer and doing a home-style spin class. Who needs the gym?

No comments:

Post a Comment