Friday 27 March 2009

Diet dilemmas

Looking back over my posts, I realise I haven't got very far with my 'looking better in jeans' goal.  That may have something to do with the fact that, although I eat really healthily, I love food. A lot.

I have never, ever been on a 'diet' that I could stick to. Every week I look at magazines that contain a 2 page spread entitled something like 7 lb in 7 days, Weight loss made easy or 4 weeks to your dream body, with a chart of banned items and a meal plan for the week. Prescriptive diets work for some people but not me. I'm a vegetarian who could be described as fussy (I can eat anything except smelly cheese but I'm not a big fan of mushrooms or aubergines) so that rules out a fair few menu options.

Anyway, diets are usually only a short term fix. They can be great for kick-starting weight loss or a change of eating habits, but they get really tedious over time. That's not to say I haven't tried a few fads in my time. Here are two of the most ridiculous:
  • Dr Joshi's Holistic Detox I was tempted by this one after eating too many chocolates over Christmas one year, mainly because it's veggie. The principles of eating lots of green vegetables, tofu and rice were great but I got bored after a couple of days and just wanted to eat a red pepper. It banned 'nightshade' vegetables such as peppers and tomatoes, claiming that they're acid-forming, but there were far too many contradictions about what this actually meant and too many healthy foods were forbidden.
  • The Master Cleanse Against all my better judgement I gave this a go. I'm generally willing to give most things a chance to see if they work, even if they do sound ridiculous.  And at the time, Beyonce had popularised this one. Basically it involves nothing but maple syrup, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in hot water. I think I lasted three-quarters of a day on it before I gave up. I didn't feel hungry, but my teeth really hurt from all the sugar!
The challenge for me is that, although I know plenty about nutrition, I have a weakness for cakes and chocolate and a habit of eating man-sized portions when I'm with my husband. If I'm ever going to be a decent cyclist, I need to be in great shape. So, my focus for the next few weeks will be to simply trim my portions slightly and limit unhealthy snacks. Let's see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment