Monday 9 March 2009

First triathlon - in the snow

Yay! I've completed my first triathlon and I wasn't last!

At least I've been better at training than I have been at writing on this blog. It looks like it's just going to be a weekly thing, until I get a new job anyway. I love writing but usually it's the last thing on my mind when I get home after a day at my computer.

Last week's training
I stuck religiously to my programme with just a few minor blips. I couldn't convince my hubby to go mountain biking last weekend so we went road biking instead, which resulted in me having a hissy fit and going home early. On Thursday, my training buddy cancelled on me so I did another session on the indoor bike trainer by myself. On Friday, I went for drinks after work. On Saturday, I suffered the consequences of 2 for 1 red wine and could barely manage to walk the dog without keeling over.

The wee triathlon
On Sunday morning, bright as a button and fully recovered from Friday's excesses, I tucked into the breakfast of champions - porridge with yoghurt, raisins and seeds, washed down with copious amounts of apple juice and coffee. Perhaps just a tad too much coffee - before long the excitement and nerves really kicked in and I'm sure the extra caffeine didn't help.

The Wee Triathlon is the first event of the season from No Fuss Events, whose main focus seems to be gruelling and epic mountain bike races. I'd travelled to the event with 3 fellow triathlon 'newbies' and over breakfast we fretted over exactly what a 'technical descent' might be. More on that shortly.

The swim
The event began with a series of 400m swim heats in the pool. I had no idea what to say whan I was asked to estimate my swim time. The last time I'd donned a bathing suit was on holiday in December, and that was to go snorkelling. "Hmm, the slowest?" I predicted. After much deliberating, I settled on 13 minutes, and was put in the slowest heat.

Looking quite the part in my swimming cap and goggles, I got into my allocated lane. On the shout of "Go!" I felt the adrenaline surge and pushed off with all my might. I can't really remember the first length but recall gasping for breath about halfway through the second and swallowing a gulp of water. By the end of the second length, I was experiencing what I can only describe as a minor panic attack. I think the excitement must have caused me to over-breathe really badly. I actually had to stop after the fourth length to regulate my breathing and went on to finish the last 12 lengths with my head out of the water, swimming breaststroke in the style of a drowning hippo. How I wish I'd done some swimming training.

Miraculously, I wasn't the slowest person out of the pool and finished with a time of 10 minutes and 32 seconds.

The bike
As I watched the faster heats from the warmth and comfort of the poolside, I looked out the window to see the snow blizzard getting steadily worse. By the time we got outside, it had turned into an eye-watering sleety hail.

As a result of my rubbish swim time, I had to wait 5 minutes at the start line before I could head off on the bike. By then, my two pairs of gloves were soaked through. I'd learnt my lesson in the pool and decided to set off at a comfortable pace. The first section was on road and we were splashed by more than a few cars. By the time I reached the trail I was completely drenched. I managed to overtake a few people (the turbo trainer sessions had paid off) and was doing really well until I reached the downhill section. It was really steep, with a mesh of tree roots, wooden steps and rocks, all mashed up into a muddy mess. I fell a couple of times and my chain came off so I decided the best strategy was to pick up my bike and run for it. I am not a technical mountain biker at all. I did get back on just in time to smile for the photographer though. I had to save face after the swimming spectacle!

After that, it was back down the road at a pace. I got up into my biggest gear and powered along as fast as I could. Just as I thought I was reaching the end, we were diverted back up a narrower, steeper trail. "Nooooo" cried my legs, but I dug deep and made it to the top. The faster, flowier (is that a word?) descent was much more fun and I felt totally elated as I flew into the transition, taking just over an hour for the 10 miles.

The run
All that was left was a relatively quick 3 mile blast. Again it was half on road and half on trail, but it wasn't quite as hilly as the bike section. Initially, despite being unable to feel my feet, I felt fine and focused on plodding along at a comfortable pace. After about 10 minutes though the pain really kicked in. My lower legs were bright red after being blasted by the icy cold water and my feet were truly sodden. I had visions of ending the day with frostbite, or even trench foot. A searing pain was rushing through the muscles in front of my shins, even though I've never experienced shin splints in the past. I stopped to stretch and walk a couple of times and eventually the pain subsided. After 38 minutes I reached the finish line!

Although it was a huge challenge, I absolutely loved it! I was expecting to be one of the last finishers but as it turned out I was faster than most of the other girls. I'll definitely be entering some more triathlons this year and I loved the off-road format. In the meantime, I'll definitely think about going for a few swimming lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I ended up one of the last for my first/last tri also. My swim needs a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete