Saturday 14 March 2009

All about the money

This week's training went well. My legs felt okay on Monday but I took a rest day anyway. Tuesday was a bit of a rubbish day at work and I was tempted just to have a bath and shop online for new running shoes to cheer me up. I realised last week that my weather beaten shoes definitely need to be replaced but I put them on anyway and decided to do what I could. Once I got out on the road, I felt much better and ended up doing my planned 4 miles after all.

I'm focusing mainly on running for the next few weeks but treated myself to a trial subscription to Triathlete's World to start planning for later in the year. I've realised that triathlon can be a very expensive hobby. It's so easy to get sucked into buying the latest 'must have' gadget. I've been there and have the Garmin Forerunner to prove it. Don't get me wrong, many of these products are fantastic but they don't get you fit... you do!

It can also be tempting to pin your hopes on a flashy new bike, so I was delighted that my second hand Rocky Mountain attracted a few admiring glances and 'nice bike' comments last weekend.

One thing that you can't economise on, however, is race fees. This week, a group of work colleagues agreed to enter the Great Edinburgh Run. £26.00 for the priviledge of running 10k and only a too-big t-shirt to show for it! So far, my races are adding up to be almost as expensive as my old private gym membership. I'm living without fad diets and fitness crazes but my bank account isn't feeling the benefit. I've got 3 more races coming up between now and May but really want to enter a couple more triathlons too. At this rate, I'd better choose them wisely.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you about the $$$. Between the shoes, Gu, clothes, race fees, etc. - it certainly begins to add up!

    ReplyDelete