Sunday 5 April 2009

Personal worst

It's not often you hear anyone saying they've achieved a PW. I'm really happy to say that's what I did this morning. The Edinburgh Half Marathon was my first for two years and the first road running race that I've done since I fractured my ankle. Part of me hoped that I'd finish close to the time I'd achieved two years ago but my main focus was just making it to the end.

My whole leg has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks so I went for a much needed massage on Monday (more ££ - eek!). Apparently my ankle ligaments haven't 'forgiven' me yet and it will take a while longer to get back to full fitness.

In the meantime, I plan to train and race as much as I can but listen to my body and take rest when I need to.

So today was very much about just getting round the course, seeing how long it took me, and giving myself a benchmark - a time that my body can currently manage - to work on and improve from.

I found the last few miles really, really difficult. My hamstring was stinging, my achilles ached and I could even feel it in my knee. This wasn't helped by a fairly strong breeze in my face! But I made it to the end in 2 hours and 1 minute and still felt that familiar surge of adrenaline and achievement that you get from crossing a finish line. It was a full 12 minutes slower than my PB but, if I've done that once, I can do it again.

I've reached the end of my training plan too so, after a well-deserved couple of days rest, I'll set myself some new goals and figure out how to work towards getting that time down.

2 comments:

  1. Still a good time for HM 2:01 - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got my chip time today - 2 hours and 43 seconds. Sooo nearly under 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete