Wednesday 30 December 2009

I run, therefore I am... But am I an athlete?

I sometimes like to pretend to be better at running than I am. There, I said it. I don't intentionally lie, but when I tell my work colleagues, friends or family that I'm going out running or entering an event, they seem to assume that I'm actually quite good. I'm not. But I don't always correct them. In my own little world, I am an athlete.

What qualifies someone as an athlete? Is it being world class; being better than your competitors; or simply being the best you can be? If it's the latter, this year I'm really going to try.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that my favourite yoga teacher (a definite athlete) recently came back from her travels. My husband (also an athlete - as evidenced by the 3 hour marathon and amazing cycling ability) isn't very flexible. As we've vowed to spend a bit more time together next year, I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for some classes.

I noticed a new "Yoga for Athletes" class, aimed at cyclists and runners, and thought it would be perfect. For him anyway. So I signed us up. I can't wait to get back to it - it's been over a year and I'm missing the sun salutations and willing my hamstrings to streeeeeeeetchhh. Ahhh. It should really help with the marathon training and, for once, I'll be able to do it beside my hubby. When we're out running or mountain biking, I can't see him for dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment