Sunday 12 September 2010

What to eat during a 2-day race

Setting aside the small issue of lack of training, the thing I'm most worried about for next week's Nokia Coast to Coast is what I'm going to eat.  I've been doing well over the past couple of weeks on my mini cave girl experiment, avoiding sugar and refined grains and trying to stick to Primal Fitness workouts.  In retrospect, a month with two races isn't the best month to have decided to experiment with a different nutrition and fitness programme, and I'm lifting the sugar ban for the race weekends.  I also found it difficult to fit in my sprints and resistance training this week, on account of my legs being so stiff and tired from the half marathon last week.  I'm still committed to giving primal living a go, so plan to get properly into it after next weekend's race.  Speaking of which...

What do you eat during a multi-day adventure race?  Despite my love of sugary things, I'm really not a fan of energy drinks and gels.  I tend to stick to water on most of my runs because they're rarely longer than an hour, and eating or drinking anything else makes me feel queasy.  Even on longer mountain bike rides, I find it a struggle to eat.  That's clearly not going to work on a 2-day event, where maintaining a steady supply of glucose to my muscles and brain will be crucial.  I was hoping to avoid the refined stuff by stocking up on natural Honey Stinger gels, but discovered they're no longer available in the U.K. because of import restrictions on honey.  So during last week's Glasgow Half Marathon I took the opportunity to practise fuelling up on Gu gel.  They tasted okay and didn't seem to affect my digestive system as badly as energy drinks usually do.  So I'm planning to stock my backpack with a mixture of Gu gels, Pack Tunch bars, bananas, oatcakes, dried fruit and nuts, all washed down with plain water.  Luckily the run is first on day one, so I should be able to get through that on gel alone and fuel up on the solid stuff on the bike leg, where I'm less likely to feel sick.  In the evening, I'll eat and eat and eat, then eat some more in the morning and during the first couple of hours of the second day's bike leg.  The second day ends with a 14-mile run, which is the scariest bit.  It's going to be really important to refuel as much as possible before I hit that, then I'll go back to the gels and water and hope my poor tummy can cope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment