Saturday 14 August 2010

My other addiction

Alongside tea, I have another minor obsession.  My name is Sarah and I'm an Amazon addict.  It is four days since my last package arrived, and already I'm hungry for more.  I just cannot get enough of reading, especially shiny new books about all things healthy.

This week's delivery included Thrive Fitness, a book by vegan professional Ironman triathlete, Brendan Brazier.  I've been reading a lot recently about the purported benefits of a paleo / primal lifestyle for optimum health and sports performance.  A meat-based diet and 'grok' way of living certainly seems to be the trendy lifestyle choice, and blogs such as Mark's Daily Apple are hugely popular.  This troubles me because it goes against most of what I learnt in my nutrition degree, and sits uncomfortably with my own veggie preferences.  Luckily Thrive tells me I can, well, thrive on a meat-free diet.  I hope so.  And, according to the U.N., reducing our consumption of animal products might be better for the planet too

This week I'm planning to compare the benefits of these two ways of living and see which comes out on top.  It's easy to be swayed by the hype so, to keep the science foremost in my mind, I also invested in an up-to-date exercise physiology textbook.  But top of my to-do list... making space on my bookshelves for my ever expanding library.  Maybe I'll plan it over a nice cup of (herbal) tea.

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I just read the Paleo Diet for Athletes (after reading the review in Running Fitness). I'm not a veggie, but my protein intake was very, very low. Can't say I can stick to the Paleo way of eating, but I've definitely upped my fish intake. Maybe in coincidence, but I think it has helped with my recovery from long races.

    Interested to see your comparison.

    Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie, I'm still working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even get round to looking at fish specifically, because the post got far too long. It makes sense that fish would help your recovery if your protein intake was low. We need protein for lots of reasons - growth, repair, making enzymes and hormones, acid-base balance... and fish oil is anti-inflammatory too. But I agree that the paleo way is unachievable. I like cake too much and I'm not giving it up for anyone!

    ReplyDelete